Saturday, March 29, 2008

Croupy Baby

My little buddy has his 1st virus! We've been so fortunate that he hasn't been sick before now, but he's really sick. I feel so bad for him! I finally stopped nursing about 3 wks ago and I think that's why! (well, I still nurse him before bed, but that doesn't count for much!) Yesterday, he started with a runny nose a slight cough, wouldn't nap well for my mom b/c he started coughing in the middle of his nap, didn't really take a bottle well either b/c he couldn't breathe! She said he otherwise ate and played well all day. He was really cranky by the time I got home from work last evening. His cough was just slightly raspy and he had snot everywhere! So, we fired up the humidifyer and I plugged in a Vicks night-light before bed. He tried to nurse, but he couldn't breathe and then got mad so I just held him for a few minutes and rocked him. He fell asleep in my arms, which he hasn't done since he was probably 3 or 4 months old! He slept for about an hr and half and woke up barking (or the tell-tale "croupy" cough for all you nurses). I was just on my way out the door to go to Karen's birthday party and that cough stopped me in my tracks. Part of me felt like I shouldn't go b/c he was sick - even though I know daddy can handle it. But we all know Mommy's just have the touch when we're sick. So, I took that as my sign that it wasn't meant for me to go and I spent the better part of my Friday night in a steamy bathroom with an exhausted baby....and Mommy! This morning, Ethan woke with a temp of 101.5, so after some Motrin, I called the ER where I work and talked with one of our Dr's who was kind enough to call-in a dose of Decadron (a one-time dose steroid), to help open up his airway. He's actually doing very well for being sick. Still turning on all of his music and dancing, laughing, eating well too. He's a trooper! Hopefully tonight is a better night with some steroids on board!

No comments: