Monday, December 8, 2008

Rooftop Santa

I decided b/c he causes us so much grief every year that I should tell all my blogger friends the story behind "Santa on the roof". About 3 or 4 yrs ago, when the ugly, giant, blow-up lawn creatures came out (can you tell how much I liked them?), I swore I would NEVER own one. That was until I saw Santa. This one was different. It's a chimney and Santa hides inside the chimney and then pops out every few minutes. I thought it was so fun, but it was $50.00!! I didn't like him that much. The rest of that Christmas season came and went and a few weeks later Derek and I were at Lowes for something and we saw that very same Santa on clearance! It was last one and only like $15.00, it was just meant to be! The next year when we were getting out our decorations, I pulled out Santa and Derek said "it's a chimney and I'm not putting a chimney in the front yard, he's going on the roof!" I thought he was absolutely crazy and that it would never work up there. Well, Derek proved me wrong. He built a platform that lays over the roof peak to stabilize it and it's then anchored to the platform as well! The problem we always have is that when he's deflated if it gets cold or we get the wet, heavy snow, he won't blow up! So, then Derek get mad that he won't blow up and risks his life to get him back up at least 2 or 3 times a year!! This year, he made a wicked long pole to poke him! It's so funny, I don't know why we do this to ourselves every year! Sometimes we see people driving slow in front of our house to check him out and that makes it worth it. I hope someday our kids will think we're pretty cool with a Santa on our roof! If he survives that long! Anyway, now you know the story, here's a few pictures of our famous rooftop Santa, enjoy!!
Where's Santa?

Here he is!!
The other day (before I got the tree up) when I got Ethan up, he saw one of his hats on the changing table and was trying to put it on his head. This is very odd because he hates wearing hats usually. So, I helped him put it on and he wore all morning! It was so cute, here's a couple pictures of him!











3 comments:

Brandi said...

I love that story! You two are crazy! A poker! I am glad that Derek won't be risking life and limb this year! Haha! I love it! Ethan is adorable in his Santa hat! Gav has been wearing his too! Hope to see you this week/end!

Stacey said...

Shelly that is great! I swore that I would never get those dumb light up animals in our front year. But last year at Home Depot we found this $65-70 polar bear that lights up and his head even goes back and forth... we bought him on clearance for $16.50!!! Meeka loves him and even gave him a silly name!

Joelsmommy said...

Haha you crack us up.. J and I just got caught up on your blogging. Fyi.. we love your santa he always pops up to wave hi when we go outside.