Friday, November 19, 2010

Breakfast with Ethan

This morning Ethan woke at his usual 7am. I was in the shower and he came in and went to the bathroom, then announced that he went to bathroom! I still have to make a big deal, because it still is a "big deal". He wears a pull-up at night and for the longest time, was just being lazy and would fill that thing up at night and refuse to get dressed for as long as he could in the morning so that he could continue to just go in his pull-up! Well now, he's finally getting it!! YAY! So, it really is a big deal that he'll go on the potty with a pull-up on, he even wakes up dry half the time, which we REALLY go ga-ga about!!

Anyway, sometimes Ethan gets up a little too early and is quite cranky in the morning, but today he was particularly sweet and pleasing. Everything I asked him he had a very sweet reply, he was cooperative and just plain adorable!! I love when days start like this!! I got dressed, we fed the dogs together, he helped me make coffee - which is a MUST for him! Once in a while I try to make it before he gets up to save time in the morning and he wakes up, smells it or sees the "red light" on and I'm in trouble!! So, for the sake of peace in the morning...I have to wait until he's up and ready so he can "help" me make coffee! After coffee, we made Ethan's breakfast of "blinkies" which stands for Rice Krispy's. Then he INSISTED that I have some breakfast with him, and it had to be cereal, just like him. Well, I used a glass bowl and he had a plastic one, and after more "insisting" from him, I poured his "blinkines" into the same white, glass bowl that I had. Now, we were finally ready to eat!

As Ethan and I sat at the kitchen table, just the 2 of us because Addy was still sleeping and Daddy had left for work already; it hit me. I'm not quite sure what "it" is other then to say that I was overcome with emotion. I sat there crying, as Ethan was quietly eating his cereal. I think I was just living in the moment and I really don't do that enough. Most mornings, I don't take the time to eat and I'm barking at Ethan to "hurry up" or "stop playing and eat", as I'm rushing around to get myself together, thinking about everything we have to get done so we can get out the door for one reason or another. Well, today I didn't have ANYTHING that I just had to do, so I wasn't rushing him or me, I didn't care how long Addison slept in, I was just thankful to be sitting next to the sweetest little boy in the world, eating a bowl of cereal together!! I really want to remember days like this because I know there's going to come a time, much sooner then I would like, that he won't be eating breakfast with me anymore. He'll be the one that's too busy to eat, he'll be the one that doesn't "have time". So there, it's typed for him and all to see, I didn't take today for granted, I stopped to smell the roses, I had a WONDERFUL morning with Ethan today! I love you buddy, with all my heart!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Those are the best times... the one's that your "in the moment!"